June 14, 2011

Here's To The MAXI! (skirt.....or dress)


I have been on the hunt for the perfect Maxi dress these days but I haven't had any luck! I am not really sure what I am looking for. It's one of those deals where I will know when I see it. I have a feeling I may find the perfect one on my trip to the Old Port in Portland Maine. They have some very unique boutiques there. In the meantime, I continue to reach for this black maxi skirt that I actually found at my local Goodwill store last winter. I looked to my June edition of Harper's Bazaar magazine for some inspiration on how to wear this maxi look. I love how they layered the look. Layering actually works well for fashionistas in the northeast. Especially lately, since the temps have been all over the place but, mostly very cool. Everyone is wondering if we are even going to get a summer! Summer doesn't actually officially begin until June 21st. I am giving mother nature until then. After that I will start complaining. 

What I wore:
Johnathan Martin jacket from TJ Maxx
Cabi babydoll cami
maxi skirt is from Goodwill. There is no label in it. It is made of a heavier knit fabric.
white fringe scarf from a boutique in Belfast Maine called Coyote Moon
Clarks wedges
Silpada turquoise ring
Tiffany & Co. silver ball earrings

What I like about this look:

I have had this jacket for about 9 years now and I seem to reach for it every spring. I like the clean look of wearing black and white. Plus the jacket is nicely fitted and looks great buttoned or worn open. The babydoll cami I bought from a Cabi home clothing party last spring.....or was it two springs ago??....anyway I love the fact that it sort of made this look like I was wearing a dress. I also wear this cami with skinny jeans and ballet flats. I felt the scarf made this look a little more bohemian which is kind of what I was going for.

I can't get over how fabulous this big turquoise ring is by Silpada! It's one of my favorite pieces in my jewelry box. I thought it was the perfect pop of color for this black and white look.

What do you think of this look?

2 comments:

Natalia D said...

Love the outfit and the ring, Laura! This is actually how I found your blog last year when i was looking for how people have worn the ring. I am dying to get it, but have put it on my wish list for my birthday and Christmas, in hopes my hubby will one day surprise me with it. Is that bad? Anyway, love love love your blog and that we share our taste in good clothing, no matter the cost. A lot of my great finds are from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Goodwill, and of course great sales at Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards, etc... ;o)

Laura Michaud said...

Thank you for the kind words Natalia and I love it that you love my blog! I actually wear this ring a lot. In fact I just so happened to wear it today! It's a great pop of color for any outfit. I will be posting my lovely look of the day later this evening on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LaurasStyIe Look for it!