June 24, 2011

Never Underestimate The Power of a Great Dress!

A great dress may be difficult to come by. It's kind of like a total eclipse. So, in other words, when it does happen, take notice!!! 
I happened to notice this total eclipse of a dress in a Saks Fifth Avenue catalog about 6 years ago. I did not purchase it at that time. It was a tad bit out of my price range, so I decided to let it go. But, I couldn't forget about it. From time to time I would search stores and websites hoping to find something like it. I pretty much gave up and moved on. Then one day 4 years later this perfect dress popped into my head again! So I decided to search E Bay. I typed in Burberry double breasted dress size 4. A few different styles popped up, and then.....all of a sudden.....time stood still! There it was! The same double breasted Burberry dress that I had longed for in years past! The seller said it had been worn a few times but it just was not fitting her well anymore. So, it was handed to the next fashionista :) And the next fashionista just happened to be MOI!


I wore my resin bangles, my vintage cameo ring, and my Silpada earrings to accessorize. This dress didn't need too much more. It's pretty fabulous on it's own!
So, what should you look for in a "perfect dress" you ask? 
I always say that when it comes to finding the perfect dress one must look for a timeless style. Diane von Furstenberg is known for her perfectly flattering wrap dresses which look AMAZING on many body types. If you are going to try a dress, this is a good place to start.
A simple shift dress is also a timeless style that is worth investing in. I prefer a length that is just above the knee like the model on the left. You will have to experiment with lengths to determine which one is right for you. You will want to look for a length that won't cut you off and make you look short. Your overall look should be long and lean. And of course you will want a length that is appropriate for whatever event you will be attending. The model on the right would most likely be going to a cocktail party while the model on the left might be going to work.
And if you don't already have that perfect, classic, "go anywhere" little black dress hanging in your closet then you will want to begin hunting for it immediately. Depending on how you accessorize, the little black dress that the model is wearing in the above photo can go anywhere from work to cocktail. You wont be sorry that you invested in this great dress. You will reach for it more times than you can ever imagine.
 This 1950's style dress is one that I purchased about five years ago at Ann Taylor Loft. This is such a flattering fit. It conforms to the upper body while cinching in at the waist and flaring out at the bottom. I believe it is called fit and flare. I added the black belt and the triple strand black bead ribbon tie necklace to personalize the look just for me :)
I think I might just wear this dress tomorrow!

What type of dress do you love? Have you found the perfect dress?? Please share!!


No comments: