May 21, 2018

My First Real Hike

We hiked the Megunticook trail in Camden, Maine.

Please try not to laugh at me as you read this blog post. 

I have a confession to make. I am 43 years old and I have lived in Maine all of my life and I have never gone on a real hike up a real mountain trail until just recently. You may or may not know that I began a new career with L.L. Bean a little over a year and a half ago. It was a rocky road at first. (No pun intended. ) Previously I had worked, lived and breathed in the fashion world all of my childhood, teen-hood, and adult life. Don't get me wrong. I still adore fashion! However, I knew that I was more than that. Not that there is anything wrong with simply being a fashionista. I just discovered that it wasn't right for me to be just that. I think something happened when I turned 40. A feeling of restlessness came over me. I started to want to have more experiences instead of buying more clothes and accessories. I know! Weird huh? But I am telling you the truth. I hate it that I had to reach the age of 40 to realize this, but I am so thankful that I at least had this awakening before getting to a point in my life that it would no longer be possible for me to have the adventures that I want to have. Notice I didn't say, before I got too old. I am a firm believer that as long as you are healthy, you can do whatever you want. Age has nothing to do with it. However, it did take me 40 years to realize this which is a bit ironic.

Below you will find exactly what I wore on my hike. It was a breezy and balmy day. The temp reached about 60 degrees with a few sprinkles here and there. But I was comfortable wearing all this. And also a layer of Deep Woods OFF sprayed all over my body, mostly on my clothing. Surprisingly enough, I didn't get bit once.


The most important piece of my hiking attire were my shoes. I would highly recommend L.L. Bean Cresta Hiking Boots. When you pick them up they feel a bit heavy, however I tried on several different brands and these by far felt the most comfortable and protective. But, you cannot just wear the Cresta hikers with any old sock. The second most important piece that I wore were my Cresta hiking socks. They totally protected my feet and I did not get a single blister. I actually wore the Cresta hiking boots and the Cresta socks all day at work the day before the hike just to break them in a bit. I would highly recommend the break in period before you hike.

Below is all you need to wear in order to be comfortable on a day hike!





I also learned that whatever I chose for hiking boots should have the Vibram sole which is non slip. I went up some pretty smooth rocks in these and I didn't slip one single bit. 



I got my new Cresta's a little dirty. But I found out that in the hiking world, the dirtier the better.


Above is a photo myself standing with my friend and colleague Chris. He always makes me laugh!

Below is a photo of Chris and I with our guide Stacey Morneault. She has been chosen to be an L.L. Bean Brand Ambassador! Stacey will be representing L.L. Bean this fall as she hikes a portion of the Appalachain Trail with her partner Emily Leonard! Stacey and Emily both have been such an inspiration to me. They are so passionate about hiking in the outdoors. Someday I hope to be as knowledgeable about hiking as they both are. They are both amazing guides and great human beings.

And that brings me to another reason why I am so thankful that I came to work at Bean. The people are amazing, friendly and so down to Earth. In the beginning, I had to fight the feelings of being out my my comfort zone which was in the fashion world. Everyone at Bean made this fashionista feel right at home.








No comments: